Designworks recognise that our operations have an effect on the local, regional and global environment and that we have a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. We will encourage customers and suppliers to do the same.
As a consequence of this, Designworks is committed to continuous improvements in environmental performance. Therefore our policy is to:
- Comply with all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- Increase employee awareness and training.
Designworks has identified a number of areas where direct action has been taken to minimise the environmental impact.
- Our energy provider supplies us with Green Electricity.
- Our web host provider uses Green Energy.
- We use electricity responsibly and switch off electrical items when not in use.
- We reduce the amount of paper used in the office by using electronic files.
- All waste is recycled wherever possible.
- Cleaning products and other consumables are purchased for their environmental and Fairtrade merit.
- Paper specification for print work is based on recycled pulp or paper from sustainable forests.
- We avoid any unnecessary car journeys.
- We are members of the Bike to Work Scheme and encourage commuting to work by bicycle or on foot.
- We support organisations that help protect the environment and we are members of Friends of the Lake District, Lake District Foundation, South Lakes Action on Climate Change, and Sustainability & Energy Network in Staveley.
Through our work:
- We were involved in creating Kendal Climate Citizens’ Jury.
- We promote sustainable modes of transport, especially cycling, and have worked with Cumbria County Council and South Lakeland District Council on various cycling projects. We were instrumental in starting Kendal Cycle Club which is an inclusive club and encourages new cyclists.
Designworks will continually monitor its practices and implement policy and schemes to minimise the impact on the environment. Staff are verbally informed of any changes in environmental policy and practices.